Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I now pronounce you husband and wife. And brother and sister.

The 12 minutes I get with Emerson (and Scarlet) on the way to school in the mornings is one of my favorite portions of the day. Scarlet just hangs. And I get all kinds of interesting information from Emerson. Afternoon pick up doesn't usually provide this since he's tired, digesting the day as a whole, and not really in the mood for chatter. In the mornings, his mind is fresh!

This morning was especially memorable. We'd only been in the car for a minute or two...

EMERSON: Mommy, do you know who my girlfriend is?
ME: No, who?
EM: I want you to guess.
ME: Ella?
EM: No.
ME: Schloka?
EM: No.
ME: Chloe?
EM: No.
ME: Ok, give me a hint.
EM: It starts with an "M."
ME: Ms. Melissa? Ms. Emily? Ms. Ashley?
EM: No.
ME: Do you just want to tell me who your girlfriend is?
EM: You know I don't have a girlfriend.

And sometimes that's just how conversations go with a four year old. I didn't ask why he would set this conversation up or even why he gave me a hint when clearly there was no answer to his initial question. That would be like asking him why he likes to dip his hot dog in his milk before eating it.

He did finish the conversation with this, very matter-of-factly...
"You know Scarlet is going to be my husband when I'm older."

No comments: