Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ear infections are for the birds.

Emerson had a cough/cold a few weeks ago, that went away, with a bit of a cough sticking around. He just wasn't quite right this past weekend. He was a little cranky, a lot clingy, not napping normally, and not eating normally. All of these are VERY unlike Emerson, so it became apparent that something was up. I took him to the doc yesterday evening (Did anyone know they scheduled 6pm appointments? Love it.) and sure enough, an infection in his left ear. We started antibiotics last night. We were assured he will be fine to fly on Thursday, so we're still headed for sand and sunshine.

Something that keeps coming to mind in all of this are the differences in healthcare for children today, 1 year ago, 10 years ago, and 20 years ago. Last February, the CDC came out with a statement that children under the age of 4 should not be given any cough/cold medicines. Most doctors have also changed their stance on Vicks VapoRub being used directly on skin. These are just a couple of the changes that make me wonder, "How did we ever survive our childhood?!?" I am a huge fan of modern medicine, epidurals, immunizations, and all, but it fascinates me that the healthcare industry allows drugs to enter the market and then reverses their opinion on them, sometimes 1 year later, sometimes 10 years later. I realize it's due to research, clinical trials, drug errors, dosing errors, etc. I work in the healthcare industry, and am very aware of how medication errors can change a family's life in an instant.


I can't say that I will or won't give Emerson cough medicine. When his cough keeps him up at night, do I trust myself to provide the care that my Mom provided me? Or do I stop and listen to the voices in my head saying "danger! danger!" Food for thought, I guess.


Naples bound...

No comments: