Thursday, June 16, 2011

Substitute Little Sisters

Quite a year we've had, and it's not even halfway over. In the midst of the mayhem, we try to find some normalcy and do things like pop up the backyard pool for Em while we cookout with friends.

Emerson has been talking quite a bit lately about his sister. His sister in his belly. When I was pregnant earlier this year (before miscarrying at 11 weeks), we talked to Emerson about being a big brother. He also has classmates who are expecting little ones in their family, so it's a regular discussion topic at school for him. We haven't talked about it as much at home, but we always address his questions, and try to explain things to him. He is INSISTENT that he has a little sister. And that she's in his belly, and sometimes in mine. Emerson wasn't that interested while I was pregnant. But has since that time, become obsessed with his "sister."

I was in Tulsa earlier this week, and told Emerson over the phone I had a present for him. I got in at 12:30 am last night, and was eager to see the little bugger after having been gone for four days, but just gave him 74 kisses while he slept peacefully. This morning, Jason was in the shower, and I was still snoozing, when I felt Emerson's little body crawling up the bed. He said, "Mommy, I want my prize. My sister. In your belly." (I can't even compose myself while writing this, you can just imagine how I reacted this morning.)

He seemed satisfied with the Toy Story magnet book and Tulsa t-shirt, somewhat. Although I tell Emerson that we'll work on getting him a sister or a brother, complications from the pregnancy and miscarriage prevent us from trying before October of this year. In the meantime, Emerson has adopted Berlynn as his little sister. He even torments her with frigid hose water when they're in the pool and steals her Cheetos.


I just can't get my head around this little boy and his insistence that he has a little sister. Makes me wonder. Was it a girl?

We'll leave her in Mia's hands.

1 comment:

Talia May said...

Wow, Janice. You have had quite a year. I'm so sorry