Jason and I decided long before my maternity leave began, that we were going to reduce Emerson's school schedule to 3 days a week, so he could have some time at home with me and Scarlet. I wanted him to have a little break from the preschool routine, and some quality time at home with his new sister. The weather has been incredible these last few weeks, so we've really been able to enjoy the outside time! And the inside time has been great too! It's few and far between that they're both napping at the same time, since Emerson has given up on naps, but with some structure to our days, we've had a good time, and I've been mildly productive!
We've worked in haircuts and well-checks for all! Emerson continues to be in the 95+ percentile for both height and weight (43" and 48 lbs.) and is happy, healthy. The kindergarten vaccines didn't go over quite as well. The nurse and I had to restrain this 48 lb. boy while he screamed and thrashed. I have never heard a child yell quite so loud. I'm pretty sure we cleared the waiting room. And it didn't end there. Emerson was quite angry with me, and told me he was only going to do things with Daddy now! A resentful little bugger. We actually had a few nights of fever following. Emerson, since he was around 2, has a strange reaction to fevers. Once he falls asleep, he wakes up quite delirious in the middle of the night talking gibberish. This time it included lots of talk about pirates.
| Airborne at the neighborhood park! |
| "Look, Mom, no hands!" (I unintentionally left the training wheels out of this shot...looks way cooler that way, though!) |
| Candyland! Emerson won. |
| A little craft time |
This was definitely a different experience than my maternity leave with Emerson. Four years ago, he and I spent lots of time in Lancaster with my Mom. This maternity leave was much busier with Emerson home a couple days, pickups from preschool, and a busy soccer schedule. The 1:1 time with Scarlet has been amazing. She's a doll, and then some. A baby who smiles when you lay her down for bed, and smiles when you pick her up in the morning. She is a great eater, and has been sleeping 11-13 hours a night for the past 2 weeks. I'm wonderfully lucky with good sleepers, and I know it!
As I type this, I'm exactly one week away from my return to work. I have mmixed emotions about my return. I really like what I do, the school districts I work with, my colleagues in the workplace, and the lifestyle that we're afforded. I've also really enjoyed my time at home...full days with Scarlet, coffee and the Today Show, staying ahead of laundry, etc.. And truth be told...I think I am a better mother to my kids when I have a career to support my personal and professional growth. It's just how I'm wired. It makes me a happier person. I don't know that this will always be the case, but it's our current reality, and I love it.
And one more "funny" that had to be captured. The interaction between Emerson and Scarlet is heart-warming...
| I left the room for one second...where did Scarlet's headband go? Hmmmmmmm. |
No comments:
Post a Comment