Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chugga Chugga

Emerson continues to love all things “choo choo.” He has an incredible ear for train whistles that must be miles away. He’ll stop in the middle of his ongoing-chatter, become silent and hold his hand up to his ear. “Mommy, choo choo cheen.” He waits for confirmation that it is in fact a train he hears. He always hears them before we do. And we really have to listen to hear them.

When I heard about “Thomas’ Day Out” a few months ago, I knew we had to go. It’s a train ride, on the real thing. They have an engine, caboose, and passenger cars, with the engine identical to “Thomas the Train.” Honestly, I don’t love the commercialism that is Thomas the Train, and I’m glad Emerson doesn’t either. Chuggington, GeoTrax, Thomas, the Hip-Hop Train on Nick Jr. and any old generic train pleases him.

Not knowing much about it, I booked the very first train ride, at 9:45am in Lebanon, about an hour and a half from Columbus. Turns out, early is the way to do it. We arrived around 9, and had no problem seeing all the other “Day Out” stuff, since there were no lines! Emerson got to meet Sir Topham Hat. He was a little creepy, but after I gave him a high-five, Emerson walked right up and did the same. He watched the men on stilts juggling and making balloon animals. He played in the bounce houses. But his real interest was in getting on the “cheen.”

After a short wait, and the “All Aboard” announcement, we boarded Car 1! Chooooo! Chooooo! Emerson loved looking out the windows and waving at all the town people who came out and the police men directing traffic. It was about a half hour ride, 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back. He loved it. Loved loved loved it. And so did we!


As Emerson says whenever we get to our destination..."We're heeeeere."





Killing some time before the ride...he's becoming a pro with jump-jumps.




Sir Topham Hat!



Chugga chugga!




Waiting patiently...




Here we go!!!




So excited!


"Again!"


No comments: