...I was attending a wine night at a friends house. She calls the annual gathering, the "Women I Love Party". Jason was in California for work, and wouldn't be getting back until Sunday night. It was a chilly Friday night so I was eager to leave work and get home to change. Before heading to her house, I stopped at CVS to pick up a few items. Namely...pregnancy tests. Jason and I had been trying, and if my calculations were right, we could be about 4 weeks pregnant by this time. There was nothing to say that I was...but nothing to say that I wasn't. Ever the careful thinker, I wasn't ready to commit in my head that it was really possible. At CVS on Avery Rd. (totally risking the chance of seeing someone I know!), I had all the options in front of me. Being that I had never taken a pregnancy test, I wasn't sure which I wanted to trust. So I bought two brands, each with 3 tests included. Somehow, I was able to contain myself, and drove on to the vino party, ate some yummy tappas, then made an early exit for home. Of course, Jason and I had thought this through, and talked through everything, at least 1,000 times. So I was prepared. I thought. You are never really prepared for the first time you take a pregnancy test.
I drove home, let Sheffield out, and went to the upstairs bathroom. I was home by myself, and contemplated waiting until Sunday when Jason got home. I couldn't do it! I HAD to know! So, I took a test, and playing my emotions safe, was pretty sure it would be negative. No problem, we'd try again next month. I walked around upstairs, folding the same blanket three or four times, feeding Kramer, and finally walked back into the bathroom. My heart nearly fell through my foot. "Pregnant"...there in gray lettering. The digital pregnancy test said so! Seriously?!?! Our first time trying, and we had success?!?!?! I had prepared Jason that it could take a little while of trying before it happened. Oh my gosh...PREGNANT! Wait, I had better take another one to be sure. I'll try the other brand. Two pink lines! I'll take four more, just to be sure! ALL 6 were positive!
Now, what do I do? I am the only one on the face of the planet that knows I am pregnant. My husband is in California. And I can't tell anyone until I tell him. And I want to tell him in person. So, I spent the weekend by myself, getting my head around the fact that there was a tiny person, growing inside of me. I went to the store and got all the ingredients for tomato bisque and grilled cheese on french bread. I hunkered down for the weekend, and tried to keep my head from spinning off into orbit. I stopped at Old Navy and bought a few baby clothes, simply because I could. I had many different scenarios for how I wanted to tell Jason. Would I wrap up the baby clothes? Would I be waiting by the door when he got home?
Jason had called a few times a day while he was gone, and I had to lie to him. He was asking if I knew anything yet, and I told him no, but that I'd been having menstrual symptoms, so it was unlikely. I hated to lie, but I could NOT tell him over the phone! I figured out exactly how I wanted to tell him! I knew when Jason got home late Sunday night, he would want a couple of things...to see his wife, and read the sports page. So, around 11pm, I fell asleep. I put the sports page on the bed, so that when Jason opened it up, he would see 6 positive pregnancy tests! We cried, we screamed, we made phone calls.
And one year to the day later, we have the most incredible little boy in our lives, Emerson Rex.
No comments:
Post a Comment