Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mailboxes in Suburbia

Jason and I were very careful about selecting the neighborhood in which we bought our house. In addition to the type of home we were looking for, there were some things we were targeting for a neighborhood...minimal traffic, quiet streets, friendly neighbors, parks/pools, etc. We quickly knew once we landed in the 'hood, that we were home. We have great neighbors, on our street and around the corner. We have numerous babysitters at our disposal, pet-sitters aplenty, and lots of good company for bonfires and social gatherings.

In the last 2 weeks, we've had at least 5 offers from neighbors to help out with Emerson whenever this dear baby decides to make his/her arrival. Especially for middle of the night care, in case we have to make a quick departure for the hospital. We're surrounded by good people!

I got the best laugh earlier this week when I came home, and pulled in the driveway. This is what greeted me...


The first thing I did was walk into the street to get a picture and send to Jason. Our mailbox isn't even that close to the street, how could the mail truck, or someone else, hit it? Then, after opening the mailbox...



I laughed pretty hard, and then sent this second photo to Jason. Who hasn't done this? I, personally, was responsible for backing out of my parents' garage and taking out a portion of the door frame. I know Jason had his share of fender benders while learning to drive too, I think one even involved a mailbox.

I think part of the reason I found this so funny, was the reality that as parents, we'll probably be leaving a similar note in a neighbor's mailbox in another 12 years. And with our darling Emerson at the wheel, we'll probably leave more than one.

No comments: