Oh, my darling Emerson. You're hell-bent on exhibiting every frustrating behavior that Jason and I did for our parents, aren't you?
We're pretty casual people. We generally always look put together, but on the weekends, we're pretty relaxed unless we have an event. I'm not afraid to go to the grocery store without makeup. Jason and I are usually in sweats when we're at home. Part of the reason for this, is we both dress for work every day. Hair, make up, outfits and accessories, suits/ties, etc. So in our down time, we dress down.
Emerson typically wears sweats or jeans, with t-shirts to school. Play clothes. He doesn't even own a single pair of shoes besides his tennies. He's gotten into habit recently, that the first thing he does when he gets home, is heads to his room and changes clothes. This means going from sweats and a t-shirt, to shorts and a different t-shirt. While he's been particular about selecting his shirts for well over a year now, he's always allowed me to pull the whole outfit together. No more. Emerson usually comes down in whatever items of clothing Jason and I would never dress him in. The red shirt, paired with red shorts. He'll actually ask us, "Mommy, do I look like a Bobo?" Bobo is the term Jason and I use to affectionately describe when Emerson pulls together the most God-awful outfit he possibly could.
Bobo comes from a couple points of origin...Jason and Terra both commonly refer to anything generic as "Bobo"...as in the guy wearing British Knights tennis shoes is wearing "Bobo shoes." It also references back to the childhood sing-songy thing that little girls do...I think I picked up "Bobo Skee Wotten Totten, Eh eh, Eh eh, Bo bo bo..." in Brownies. So, Bobo it is. "No, Em, you really shouldn't wear that shirt with that pants...it's Bobo." Many-a-times, we let it be.
Emerson often leaves the house on a sunny day in rainboots. Why? Well, why not? I think most people that have children or grandchildren take one look at him and know he dressed himself. If not, well, let them judge.
So not only will he pair ridiculous things together, but he'll go through every pair of shorts and sweats he owns in one week's time. About 9 shorts, and 8 pants. In one week. And at least a dozen shirts. I'm ok with this, though. His laundry is still just a load a week. And I know my Mom is giggling to herself, having raised a daughter who changed her clothes incessantly as a child. There were days we didn't leave the house, and I had 6 different outfits I HAD to wear. So, Mia...here you go. I really did have a child who is JUST like me.

No comments:
Post a Comment