Monday, October 4, 2010

Dapper Don.

Emerson and I were both in a wedding this past weekend for my dear college friend, Leah.

When Leah asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding, I was absolutely thrilled! When she later asked me if Emerson would be the ring bearer I was thrilled again! I was so excited for my little boy to be a part of such a fun event, for one of my closest friends. But I was also a little anxious when I realized there was a great likelihood he wouldn’t make it down the aisle. He wasn’t yet two when these plans fell into place.

Emerson turned two in August, and with the wedding right around the corner (October 2), we were finalizing plans. Borrowing a tux and shoes (from his cousin Spencer, that he wore in my and Jason’s wedding!), making hotel arrangements for us and planning for Jessica to come with us to help with Emerson. We had options and back up plans. Since I was in the wedding party, Jessica would “send” Emerson down the aisle, and Jason would be sitting near the front to “receive” him.

Friday afternoon, Emerson was wound for sound. We arrived in Wheeling a little after 3 and got checked in to the hotel and ready for the rehearsal and dinner. Emerson is a child who cherishes sleep. He sleeps 3-4 hours every afternoon and 12-13 hours overnight without interruption. So, when he goes without a nap, it’s hard to know what to expect. But, we’re all flexible and traveling requires different schedules. So, off we went!

The ceremony rehearsal was a preview to what the next day would bring. At a beautiful rooftop location at Oglebay, the wedding party practiced heading down the aisle. After the bridesmaids and groomsmen made their entrance, Emerson at a full sprint, raced to Jason in his seat. Twice. OK, this works. At least he’ll get down the aisle. It may be fast. But he’ll get there. Ava, the sweet flower girl told her Mom, “My date is really silly.”

At the rehearsal...Emerson, goofin'.


After a brief appearance at the rehearsal dinner, Auntie Jessi took Emerson with her back to the hotel for a good night’s sleep. He had a fun next day with Auntie Jessi while I went for spa time with Leah and the maids. He even was able to take a 2-hour afternoon nap before the wedding. I got ready with all the girls, and trusted Emerson to Jason and Jessi. The next time I saw him, he was looking oh-so-dapper in his little man tux. But, all that traveling and off-routine schedule was catching up to him. He wanted Momma. This was really difficult since I was heading down the aisle before him. Melt. Down. Emerson lost it when I left him to walk down the aisle with the other girls. He never did make it down. Jason scooped him up and took him inside, where they watched the ceremony from a window.

Emerson quickly recovered, and was introduced at the reception with me. He had some fun and food, and then made his departure with Jess back to the hotel.

This handsome little ring bearer turned out to just be a cute kid in a tuxedo.








A picture of the three of us...and Terra!

Emerson and his date/nanny, Auntie Jessi.

Emerson and me with the happy couple, Nick and Leah

When Emerson gets tired...he starts to sing.

Yep, this kid is done.

A good night kiss for Momma, and off to bed he goes.

No comments: