Thursday, August 9, 2012

And then there were four...

Scarlet Catherine Zielinski entered this world at 6:52 p.m. on Monday, July 30, at 9 lbs. 6 oz. and 21 inches in length. She had a head full of blonde hair, with a bit of a curl. The road to her safe and healthy arrival was long! Much longer than her 39 weeks in the womb. Read on...

Two years earlier...
Jason and I have always wanted a house full of children. We were so lucky to have Emerson a couple of years after we got married. We were looking forward to giving him a sibling, too! We got pregnant when Emerson was 2, and lost the baby at 11 weeks. Two months later, my Mom died. Just when we thought we had been dealt all the blows we could take, we found out that due to complications with the pregnancy and miscarriage, we couldn't safely get pregnant again for at least 6 months. What?!?! It was a partial molar pregnancy, so if we were to get pregnant again right away, it could be malignant to me, as the mother. We had never heard of this. Seriously, who has?!?!

We patiently waited out these months, knowing it is what we had to do. With the all clear to start trying again, we were beyond elated to get pregnant again in the fall, with a targeted due date very close to Emerson's 4th birthday! While we didn't plan for this age difference, it certainly has its benefits.

Nine months earlier...
Some people say their second pregnancies fly by. Not me. This pregnancy felt like years in the making, and in a way, it was! Since we were trying, we found out very early. And while there were no signs or indicators to take us in this direction, I often felt overwhelmed with the possibility of losing another child. To the point of quiet meltdowns and an insane amount of praying. Each week felt like a milestone. So more often than not, time crawled by.

One week earlier...
Emerson was a big baby at 9 lbs. 7 oz. (3 days after due date). I knew there was a possibility of having another big child, especially since this would be the second, and they typically are bigger. Beginning in my third trimester, I started reminding my doc of Emerson's size. Once we got to weekly appointments around 36 weeks, we started discussing the possibility of induction, knowing it wouldn't be before 39 weeks. At my last appointment, in week 39, my doc agreed to a 39+4 induction date, just a few days before my due date. I was delighted, and seriously uncomfortable. Monday, July 30 couldn't come soon enough! I wrapped up work responsibilities, had a quiet family weekend, and made plans for Emerson.

The day of...
We arrived at the hospital Monday morning, for an 8 a.m. induction. Pitocin was started at 10 a.m., and contractions began about 30 minutes later. Everything was on cruise control. My Dad, Sister, best friend, and Jason's parents were around, and in and out of the room. Jason was my constant partner, almost never leaving my side. Except to down some McD's. I don't blame him, I was starving too! I needed, and received, my epidural around 2 p.m. from a hyperactive anesthesiologist. This guy had more energy than most toddlers. He and Jason were immediate buddies, of course. Epidurals are awesome. My pain went from an 8 to a 1 (10 pt. scale) very quickly. Then something changed, about an hour later. I was quickly back to an 8, maybe even a 9. I was dilated at 6, and they couldn't figure out why I was in pain again, until the nurse anesthetist came in. My epidural pump was off. WHAT? Yes, it was off. She quickly gave me an injection for the pain, and fixed the pump. "These are new, and we're having some glitches. That, or it was never turned on." They were quick to rectify the situation, but that was a tough half hour. And if you're having glitches, tell us so we can keep an eye on the pump! Oy. Back to a 1 on pain and doing ok.

Around 6:30 p.m., still 6 cm but making progress otherwise. We sent everyone except Jess down the hall, as I was increasingly uncomfortable. Five minutes later, I kicked Jess out and asked for another check. I went from 6 to 10 cm in 5 minutes. Go time.

And then there was our girl. It kind of felt like that. Scarlet was ready to make her appearance, and once the doc was there, I pushed 4 times, in 6 minutes. Jason and I couldn't believe it when they said "it's a girl!" We both yelled in shock! Finally, she was here. Emerson was the first to meet his new sister, shortly after her arrival. I don't know what we were going to do if we had a boy, because we never landed on a boy name! We had decided on Scarlet Catherine months ago. We liked Scarlet for a girl with Emerson's pregnancy, and her middle name is my Mom's. I feel like my Mom had a lot to do with Scarlet's arrival, and it just felt right. While they'll never meet, I know they have a connection.

Welcome to the world Scarlet Catherine. We already love you so much.

And then there were four...

So excited!

Poppy and Auntie Jeeka...ready to love another Zielinski!

A last encouraging hug from my little boy.

Best big brother.

And there she is.

So in love.

And so in awe.

She has quite the fan club...

A big smile from an adoring Poppy...

Mimmy, holding a bright-eyed Scarlet.

This is her look.

Terra got in on the Scarlet-lovin' action.

24 hours later...we went home...more than ready!

"Let's go, Dad."

Big brother was so excited for us all to be home!
Mimmy and Dzia Dzia with both kids.

So loved.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

she is beautiful! Congratulations!

Just like Scarlet and your mom, I feel like CC has a connection with my grandmother, even thought they never met. What a great thing to have...what a great way for memories to stay alive.