Friday, December 30, 2011

Good Riddance 2011

How is this year not over yet?!?!?! 2011 was the most terrible year. Of. My. Life. I know I only have 30 others to compare it to, but I feel like 30 years is decent perspective. I can't imagine a year of my future rivaling 2011's absolute awfulness.

According to Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." I had my breath taken a couple of times last year. Just when I thought I had gained my composure, I had that breath knocked out again. I believe this quote is meant to be inspirational, but the more I read it, the more convinced I am that sometimes having that breath taken, can make you feel like you may not ever really get the ability to breathe again. Yet, somehow, I have. I don't really care for resolutions. I keep them as well as I keep my promise to give up potatoes every Lent. So for 2012, I'm going to try to keep this in mind:

“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
As sad as I am as I look back at this past year, the lives lost, the sadness that ensued, and the presences missed, I know things will be better for one reason...they can't possibly be worse.

So, 2012, I look to you with opportunity, confidence, and positivity. Don't f#%* it up, Mayans.


No comments: